A tribute to Cecillie Swaisland (10 July 1926–25 December 2016)
Thembisa sends condolences to Cecillie’s daughters Alison and Ruth. Cecillie’s late husband Charles (see ‘Tributes’ under ‘Our story’) was seminal to the development of Thembisa. Cecillie was a constant support, from their marriage in 1949, through Colonial Service years in Nigeria and then various secondments to Africa, when Cecillie held the fort in the UK or accompanied Charles. Both were characterised by their love of people and desire to serve however they could. Cecillie held three different Master’s degrees and various lectureships and authored several books. She was well-known for her delicious cakes that enhanced Thembisa events.
We thank Alison and Ruth for honouring Cecillie by requesting donations in her memory be made to Thembisa through the Charles and Cecillie Swaisland Memorial Fund. The fund will remain open till the end of July 2017. There are various ways to donate:
- By cheque to the Thembisa Trust, sent to The Thembisa Trust, 34 Trinity Rd, Headington, Oxford OX38LQ (please state that your donation is to this fund).
- By electronic banking as follows: Bank name: CAF Bank; Account name: Thembisa Trust; Sort Code: 40-52-40; Account Number: 00000864. Please add ‘Cecillie Swaisland’ as reference.
- Via the Thembisa website (http://thembisatrust.org/). On the Home page there are two options:
- Donate button – press and follow the instructions to donate through CAF. As there is no way to reference the donation, please also send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org telling us about your donation
- Click the Support us button at the top of the page; click Virgin Money Giving on the first line under Donate –click Make a donation and follow the instructions. Type ‘Cecillie Swaisland’ in the message box.